It seems unconscionable to dumb-down America's awareness of world events, but the December 9, 2013, issue of Time magazine does just that.
How can we expect public perception of reality to keep up with what's going on in the world when we cover up important current events. The US deserves to know what is important enough to the rest of the world to deserve Time's cover.
According to DailyKos, the fluff for news substitution has happened before. Doesn't that make you Wonder?
Media that is co-opted by its corporate owners sounds suspiciously like #6 on Laurence W. Britt's list of 14 early warning signs of fascism:
- Powerful and Continuing Nationalism
- Disdain For Human Rights
- Identification of Enemies as a Unifying Cause
- Supremacy of the Military
- Rampant Sexism
- Controlled Mass Media
- Obsession With National Security
- Religion and Government Intertwined
- Corporate Power Protected
- Labor Power Suppressed
- Disdain For Intellectuals & and the Arts
- Obsession With Crime & Punishment
- Rampant Cronyism & Corruption
- Fraudulent Elections